No more compiled-in FDTs?!

Tim Kientzle kientzle at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 20 16:44:29 UTC 2013

I've just committed changes so that BeagleBone images
(built with my scripts) no longer use the compiled-in FDT.
(This includes changes to FreeBSD ubldr, to U-Boot,
and to my scripts.)

RaspberryPi has not been using the compiled-in FDT for
some time now.

My goal is demonstrate booting a single kernel on
multiple ARM boards, which necessarily precludes
using a compiled-in FDT.

I plan to soon comment-out the compiled-in FDT from
the kernel configurations in FreeBSD SVN for both
BeagleBone and RaspberryPi.

For reference, you can load an FDT from U-Boot:
  $ fatload mmc 0:1 <address> <filename.dtb>
  $ fdt addr <address>

or from within ubldr:
  $ load -t fdt <filename.dtb>

These commands can be easily automated.  In either
case, ubldr should now find the FDT and correctly pass
it to the kernel.

Tim