building RaspPi Images

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Feb 11 18:08:20 UTC 2013

On Feb 11, 2013, at 10:42 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:

>> Here are several answers:
>>
>> 1) The immediate result of this change will make
>> it *easier* to change the FDT.  Right now, most people
>> are recompiling the kernel just to tweak the FDT.
>> This change moves it out into a separate standalone
>> file in the boot partition.  (You still need to compile
>> the DTS, but you can at least change it and reboot
>> without touching the kernel.)
>>

> I actually find it much easier to recompile the kernel than any of the
> other alternatives I've run into, but I understand that an end user
> would see it differently.  I also find that while I'm trying to be
> open-minded about fdt in general, I still find it much more cumbersome
> to work with than the old hints system.  The very fact that you need a
> special compiler to change the fdt data is part of that.
>
> In general, the fdt data seems to be good at describing hardware
> relationships that are hard to express with simple hints, such as how
> pins that generate interrupts are mapped between various devices and
> interrupt controllers.  But it seems to be hard to use when the nature
> of the customizations are simple choices.

Indeed.

>> 2) We're still debating the role of the FDT vis a vis
>> end user customization.  Personally, I would like
>> to find some more dynamic approach to handling
>> pinmux at runtime.  (E.g., if you want to use a pin
>> for gpio, you do this:
>>   $ gpioctl 1 7 out   # Set gpio 1 7 for output, including pinmux change
>>   $ gpioctl 1 7 on
>> Similarly, I think that enabling uart2 should automatically
>> adjust the pinmux appropriately.
>>

> I whole-heartedly agree with that last sentence, but it's about a
> zillion miles from where our code is now.  I'm not even sure it's fully
> possible, it just seems like a nice generic ideal "I asked for a uart,
> so the uart driver should enable power, enable clocks, and assign pins
> to make that happen."  The problem crops up when "assign pins" has
> several sets of pins to choose from for a given device, and I know at
> least the Atmel SoCs do this a lot.

In Linux land, at least for Atmel, they have created pin groups that are switched together when things like the uarts are enabled. It looks to be pretty slick, but I haven't seen it in its final form.

We can do it mostly by default, with the special cases being handled specially.

>> 3) IIUC, the FDT concept came from the PowerPC
>> world, where the FDT is provided by the ROM.
>> It's not really a tool for customizing the system; it's a tool
>> for describing the hardware available.
>>
>> 4) Ubldr already has tools for adjusting the FDT
>> dynamically at boot time.  I just committed the
>> online help for this "help fdt".  So you can indeed
>> adjust the FDT via loader.rc.  That works today, even
>> when the FDT is compiled into the kernel.
>>

> I'll look into this, although when I was playing with it a couple weeks
> ago, I was having a hard time doing *anything* with loader.rc at all.
>
> That got me involved in trying to get the forth code running so that
> we'd have the full btx-loader goodness in the arm world with loader.conf
> files that we're all familiar with already.  That was going pretty well
> except for our kernels not having proper elf headers, and I started to
> sidetrack to fix that, and then $work happened and I haven't gotten back
> to any of it yet.

I hate it when $work happens...

Warner