add versatilepb support to tim's script

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Mon Feb 11 01:00:06 UTC 2013

On Feb 10, 2013, at 4:22 AM, Takeshi Taguchi wrote:

> Hi, all
> Attached patch  add support versatilepb to tim's script:
>  https://github.com/kientzle/freebsd-beaglebone
>
> use:
>  board_setup VersatilePB
> in config.sh. and try to run:
>  sh beaglebine/sh
> then you will get following images:
>  FreeBSD-VERSATILEPB.flash : kernel image
>  FreeBSD-VERSATILEPB.img   : userland image
>
> and then try to exec:
>  qemu-system-arm -M versatilepb -m 128M \
>    -kernel FreeBSD-VERSATILEPB.flash \
>    -cpu arm1176 \
>    -hda FreeBSD-VERSATILEPB.img
>
> Thanks.
> -
> T.T

Thank you!  This is wonderful!
I've merged this to the code on Github.

I only have one suggestion for improving it:

You use this code to get the kernel object file:

 KERNELBIN=${WORKDIR}/obj/arm.armv6`realpath ${FREEBSD_SRC}`/sys/${KERNCONF}/kernel.bin

then

   dd of=$FLASH …. if=$KERNELBIN

This approach is a little brittle.   Elsewhere,
I've used something similar to the following:

   mkdir ${WORKDIR}/kernel
   freebsd_kernel_install ${WORKDIR}/kernel
   dd .... if=${WORKDIR}/kernel/.../kernel.bin

If this doesn't work, please consider adding a new
function to lib/freebsd.sh to copy kernel.bin; that way,
there will be only one place that knows about this
kind of detail.  (Rather than having copies of your
code for every board.)

Tim