building RaspPi Images

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Sun Feb 10 05:23:59 UTC 2013

On Feb 9, 2013, at 2:18 PM, George Rosamond wrote:

> What is the recommended method of building images: Tim's scripts or Gonzo's script?
>
> Not looking for too much detail and without reviewing everything, what are the important differences?

Either one will get you a bootable RaspberryPi image.

Oleksandr's script is simple and straightforward.  If you're
used to building images manually, you'll probably find his
script a lot easier to understand and modify for your needs.

My script has a couple of more ambitious goals:
  * Build everything from source.  It will build all of the various boot
    bits from source (as far as possible), which should make it a
    better choice for tracking changes to those various pieces.
  * Be an extensible platform for building various types of images.
    It already has configuration knobs for things like whether
    to include /usr/src or /usr/ports, and I'm experimenting with
    installing packages as part of the build (pkgng "almost" makes
    this easy).  It should be relatively simple to add hooks for
    other kinds of configuration tweaks.
  * Support several different boards.  It cleanly supports both
    RaspberryPi and BeagleBone right now.  It should be feasible
    to support others but I don't have access to other hardware
    right now.

Cheers,

Tim