named kills raspberry pi

Romain Tartière romain at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 8 15:24:03 UTC 2013

Hi

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:18:03PM +0000, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> I had a nasty feeling it might be, I was just hoping it might still
> work anyway. Failing that I'll look into an armv6 implementation of
> cpmxchg. Either way if I get it to work I'll post a patch to this
> list.

First of all, please note that I am only an ARM user and never hacked or
whatever for ARM, so this could be completely out-topic, please accept
my apologies if it's the case :-)

A few years back, I bought an OpenRD [1] and when I wanted to run named
on it, it crashed (just named, not the system).  The crash occurred in
isc_atomic_cmpxchg() and after some digging in the list archive, I found
parts of patches that once combined made my problem vanish.  I have been
using this patch since then, and as the program and name of the function
suggest some link with the subject of this thread, I though it could be
related and you could be interested in it [2].

I can't even warranty that the patched function acts like it should, but
I could run named after applying it.  In case this helps someone to
avoid a few hours of hacking, this is great, otherwise, well sorry for
the noise :-)

Kind regards,
Romain