FreeBSD 10.0-RC3 Now Available

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Dec 26 20:23:38 UTC 2013

On Dec 26, 2013, at 1:20 PM, Andrew Turner wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 14:55:12 -0500
> Glen Barber <gjb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 07:48:30PM +0000, Andrew Turner wrote:

>>> I would suggest we could build a tarball of armv6 userland and an
>>> RPi image to dd to an SD card.
>>>
>>> Building the former should be straight forward.
>>>
>>> For the latter, assuming the release target is unable to build the
>>> required U-Boot binary, we could use crochet. I'm not sure if we can
>>> use a tarball as the input for this to guarantee both are the same.
>>>

>> The problem with using crochet is that it requires git on the build
>> machine, which just adds to the minimum dependencies needed, both for
>> crochet itself, and (last I was aware) an external uboot tree.
>
> Github allows you to use svn to checkout a git repo with svn. There is
> an option under the clone url to set it to subversion.
>
> U-Boot should just be a tarball, if it is a git repo we would need to
> make it a tarball for the release to supply the source as it is GPL.
>
>> Maybe it is just more sensible to take what crochet is doing, and make
>> that into a release target.
>
> Yes, but I assume this is not feasible for 10.0.

likely. Might be better to nominate one board, create a userland tarball for that board as well as an image for 10.0-RELEASE and see if we can get crochet building images from that userland tarball before 10.1-R. We should at least create an artifact now, even if its usefulness is in the future... So a limited release for 10, if it isn't too late, for arm would be great.

Warner