Pretty good RPi version?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Aug 25 15:58:22 UTC 2013

On Aug 25, 2013, at 9:34 AM, Tim Kientzle wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2013, at 5:07 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> All - if it's unstable, please complain loudly on -arm and -current and
>> file PRs. If you have the time, please help figure out which commit(s)
>> broke things.
>>
>> There's been plenty of "stuff is unstable" talk, but I'm not sure it's
>> percolated its way up to the people doing VM hacking on other platforms
>> (notably amd64) so they are likely unaware they've broken things.
>>
>> It's possible they've also broken things for MIPS, which has me worried. :(
>
> On a similar note:  FreeBSD is starting the process for branching
> and releasing FreeBSD 10.0.  (The whole process will take a few
> months, but it means we need to get bugs isolated and fixed NOW.)
>
> I would *love* to have a solid, stable FreeBSD/ARM for 10.0.
> (If nothing else, I started tinkering with BeagleBone in late 2011
> specifically so I could move my personal email server onto one. ;-)
>
> To get there, we need as many people as possible:
>  * Running the bleeding edge FreeBSD.
>  * Reporting problems.
>  * Helping to diagnose those problems.
>
> Q:  Does anyone know a good way to test userland locking?
>
>     Diane Bruce has been continuing to dig into the issue that
>     broke sshd a while back; the clues point to some issue in
>     jemalloc (possibly locking related?).

Once upon a time, back in the RAS/armv4 days, I found a bug. Locks were getting stuck in threads in my employer's command and control program. After much debugging, it came down to the atomic operations implemented by RAS were less than atomic. There was a one or two instruction race in them. Usually they'd work, and you needed a very high interrupt load, like in my employer's hardware, to see the problem reliably. It would be useful to eliminate this possibility, even though RAS is off the table for armv6, this is really the first release with armv6 support and the atomics haven't been through the torture test of that process yet.

Warner