Towards an ARM system-building script

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Tue Sep 25 15:40:13 UTC 2012

On Sep 25, 2012, at 7:18 AM, George Neville-Neil wrote:

> On Sep 23, 2012, at 14:55 , Tim Kientzle <tim at kientzle.com> wrote:

>>> I've started tinkering with ideas for generalizing my
>>> BeagleBone script so it can build system images for
>>> other boards.
>>
>> I've made significant progress and would
>> appreciate any feedback:
>>
>>  github.com/kientzle/freebsd-beaglebone
>>

> I will test the Pi and BeagleBone in the next few days.  House guests
> are keeping me from my office after work :-(

Pi still has a long ways to go.  I've not yet gotten
a booting image (partly because the serial cable
seems insufficient to get any boot messages; I guess
I need to connect an HDMI monitor as well?)

> Great that you're moving this forwards!  I wonder how we can get this into
> the main tree so that it gets the appropriate help and testing.  Any ideas
> on where you'd want to put this Tim?

Once it can handle a couple of boards and I'm convinced
it's actually legible and useful to someone other than me,
then it could go beside nanobsd.  Someday, someday, I'd
like to see this used to build "official FreeBSD releases"
for some of these boards, but we've all got a bit of work
ahead of us before we're ready for that.

Needs a better name than beaglebsd, though; it aspires
to so much more.  ;-)

Tim