Performance of SheevaPlug on 8-stable

Ian Lepore freebsd at damnhippie.dyndns.org
Tue Jan 31 17:30:12 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-31 at 09:37 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2012, at 8:54 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 22:39 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> >> Hi Ian,
> >>
> >> Do you have any data on what 9.0 does?
> >>
> >> Warner
> >
> > No.  Do you have reason to believe it will be different than 8.x?
> >
> > It would be a major effort right now to get anything later than 8.2
> > built and running on one of our arm platforms.  Maybe not as hard as the
> > 6.2 -> 8.2 conversion was, but we're still carrying a lot of diffs from
> > stock FreeBSD that have to be analyzed and merged by hand.  Actually
> > before that can even happen I'd have to grab a snapshot of 9.0 and do an
> > svn->Hg conversion to even be able to start merging the diffs (and I'm
> > hardly an Hg expert, but those in the company who are let me know last
> > week that they're just as busy as me, and I'm on my own for this kind of
> > work).  It's work I want to do, but I suspect it's going to happen later
> > rather than sooner because product deadlines are beginning to loom and
> > my ability to spend most of my time working on the OS side of things is
> > waning.
> >
> > If there are some specific changes you've got in mind that affect this
> > problem I might be able to backport and test them faster than I could
> > get a full 9.0 or -current build environment working, just point me at
> > them.
>
> I thought that we'd done a root cause of this and had put a fix into the vm system.  Lemme look...

> r224049 | marcel | 2011-07-14 20:11:26 -0600 (Thu, 14 Jul 2011) | 2 lines
>
> In pmap_protect(), don't call vm_page_dirty() if the page is unmanaged.

> r221844 | cognet | 2011-05-13 09:54:12 -0600 (Fri, 13 May 2011) | 4 lines
>
> In pmap_change_wiring(), use the right argument for pmap_modify_pv().
> It only worked because the only consumer calls pmap_change_wiring() to remove
> the wiring.

> r212507 | cognet | 2010-09-12 14:46:32 -0600 (Sun, 12 Sep 2010) | 5 lines
>
> In pmap_remove_all(), do not decrease pm_stats.wired_count if the mapping was
> wired, as it's been done later in pmap_nuke_pv().
>
> Submitted by:   Mark Tinguely

> r209223 | cognet | 2010-06-15 16:16:02 -0600 (Tue, 15 Jun 2010) | 4 lines
>
> Turn off cache if there's more than one kernel mapping, and one is writable.
>
> Submitted by:   Mark Tinguely

> r205028 | raj | 2010-03-11 14:16:54 -0700 (Thu, 11 Mar 2010) | 12 lines
>
> Fix ARM cache handling yet more.
>
> 1) vm_machdep.c: remove the dangling allocations so they do not
>    un-necessarily turn off the cache upon consecutive access.
>
> 2) busdma_machdep.c: remove the same amount than shadow mapped.
>
> Reported by:    Maks Verver
> Submitted by:   Mark Tinguely
> Reviewed by:    Grzegorz Bernacki
> MFC after:      3 days

> r203637 | raj | 2010-02-07 13:48:57 -0700 (Sun, 07 Feb 2010) | 19 lines
>
> Improve checking whether an ARM VA has a valid mapping before performing cache
> sync.

> [...]

I think we may have all those changes incorporated except perhaps
r224049; I'll make sure of that.

r209223 is the change that exposed this situation.

I'm skeptical that any of the changes you cite (or any change at all in
the pmap layer) will fix the problem, because the problem seems to be
rooted in the fact that the vfs buffer cache establishes a kva mapping
of the buffer pages with the protections set to READ|WRITE|EXEC and
leaves that mapping in place as long as the buffer is in the cache, and
r209223 says that as long as there are multiple mappings of a page with
at least one writable, that page's i-cache and d-cache bits stay off.
(The multiple mappings being the one for the buffer cache that includes
write access and one or more READ|EXEC mappings made by pmap() when the
executable or library is loaded/relocated.)

If my analysis is correct (and I'm fairly sure, if not 100% positive,
that it is), then it seems to me that the only fix available is going to
be at the vfs layer, and it's going to involve dropping the write access
to the pages in the buffer cache once any physical IO and/or uio
operations needing write access are completed.

Even if I could figure out a patchset to fix the problem, it's going to
need a lot of input from the vm gurus to answer questions such as what
the performance impact will be to non-VIVT platforms that don't need
this extra work done.  If the extra work is expensive enough (and I'm
not sure I could evaluate that properly) it may need to be conditional
on whether the platform needs it.  I'm also vaguely uneasy with all this
on a purely philosphical level, since this could end up basically
infecting MI code with a platform-specific concept.

-- Ian