Suggestions for arm build for qemu?

Brian J. McGovern mcgovern at beta.com
Wed Jul 27 23:14:29 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 16:08 +0200, Damjan Marion wrote:
> On Jul 19, 2011, at 5:12 AM, Brian J. McGovern wrote:
>
> > That got it. The kernel is now booting, and I'm able to run the
> > applications in /rescue. The other binaries seem to be hit or miss
> > (signal 11s), although the C compiler can build 'hello world', so I'm
> > guessing that either the dynamic linker isn't set up right (/etc isn't
> > populated by the installworld, so I continue to add files by hand) and
> > its having a problem finding all the dynamic libraries it wants, or the
> > 64MB memory limit is a problem, and I need to get swap going. In any
> > event, its enough to get my hacking until Globalscale ships my board.
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> Can you share how did you setup root file system? I tried to play with
> qemu network settings but didn't reach far away from:
>
> Received DHCP Ack packet on smc0 from 10.0.2.2 (accepted) (no root path)
> DHCP/BOOTP timeout for server 255.255.255.255
>
> Thanks,
>
> Damjan

Sure. Happy to share what others helped with... I'm going to assume
you've read through http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSDMarvell, have built
and the exported file system. It looks like you're getting hung up on
passing the root filesystem via DHCP. I'm using the isc-dhcp server, so
I had to add

option root-path "dotted.quad.ip.addr:/path/to/exported root";

to the section that will give an address to the device. This will get
the device to mount the NFS export as the root filesystem.

Once you can boot the device, you can use the standard tools to build
local filesystems if you've defined hard disks or other storage.