FreeBSD on a DockStar - doesn't mount root

Johny Mattsson johny.mattsson+fbsd at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 21:28:31 UTC 2011

On 16 February 2011 05:43, Torfinn Ingolfsen
<torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no> wrote:
> Aha. Is there no way to pass FreeBSD kernel arguments (or what you call it) via U-Boot?

The short answer is no.

The slightly longer answer is that it would be possible if you were
booting into ubldr instead of the kernel directly. However that
requires that your U-Boot is built with the API option enabled, and
even if you get that far you then learn that ubldr doesn't grok
MBR/FATs and can't find the kernel, and if you try to go for a raw BSD
disk/UFS you find that U-Boot doesn't grok that, and can't find ubldr
in the first place.

In the end it was quicker for me to just recompile a couple of kernels
than patch one or the other to work with my setup. Should I find
myself with some extra spare time, I would like to go back and see if
I can improve this situation. Right now that doesn't seem likely to
happen any time soon however.

Regards,
/Johny

Last minute edit: I don't think I ever tried placing ubldr directly
into the onboard flash and booting into it from there. That might be a
workable option, but you'll need to be careful of the load addresses
of the various U-Boots, ubldr and kernel - it's very easy to overload
one with another.