FreeBSD on a DockStar - doesn't mount root

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Sun Feb 6 18:17:03 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have a Seagate DockStar (Sheevaplug derivative) and have followed
this guide[1] to install FreeBSD on it. In particular:
- installed a new uboot[2], this works nicely
- prepared a new usb memory stick[3], which behaves well when connected to my workstation
- installed the pre-built distribution[4] on the memory stick
- configured uboot as mentioned here[5]

When I boot the DockStar with this usb memory stick, the kernel boots, but then it stops because
it fails to mount root. Relevant parts of the output:
ugen0.3: <Verbatim> at usbus0
umass0: <Verbatim STORE N GO, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 3> on usbus0
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0000
umass0:0:0:-1: Attached to scbus0
Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/kirkwoodroot
ROOT MOUNT ERROR:
If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from
the loader prompt:

     set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab.

Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=

Manual root filesystem specification:
                       eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
                       eg. cd9660:/dev/acd0
                       This is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /

  ?                  List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot>

at this point trying '?' gives no GEOM devices, and also trying to manually input
ufs:/dev/ufs/kirkwoodroot
doesn't help either. Yes, I have verified on my workstation that the memory stick have
/dev/ufs/kirkwoodroot and that I can mount the partition from it.

What can I do to fix the problem?

As usual, I have a worklog page[6] for the dockstar and FreeBSD.