freebsd-arm on apple TV

Aleksandr Rybalko ray at ddteam.net
Mon Sep 20 17:32:28 UTC 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 12:09:30 +0100
Mark Blackman <mark at exonetric.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Would anyone care to speculate on how hard it would be to run FreeBSD on
> the Apple TV, now that it's ARM based?
>
> http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html
>
> I suppose there's at least two big elements
>
> a) can you actually get a FreeBSD boot media into the boot sequence somehow?
>
> b) How far is the A4 from the existing ports?
>
> Anyway, just curious.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Hi,

I have experience with D-Link STB and Media Players, and found all of those hardware have open source OS (Linux in most cases), but drivers for video decoders/encoders shipped as binary, and CPU without support from decoder can`t do realtime decoding of streams, even if it is MPEG2.

--
Aleksandr Rybalko <ray at ddteam.net>