arm/150581: Unknown error generates IRQ address decoding error

Johny Mattsson johny.mattsson+fbsd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 01:20:05 UTC 2010

The following reply was made to PR arm/150581; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Johny Mattsson <johny.mattsson+fbsd at gmail.com>
To: Tyler Saylor <wthww at 680x0.com>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org, freebsd-arm at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: arm/150581: Unknown error generates IRQ address decoding error
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:44:58 +1000

 --0003255753be3ea5ae049069df63

 Hi Tyler,

 The issue could be the same that I'm having on my PogoPlug (stripped down
 version of the Sheevaplug essentially). I don't have a serial console on it,
 so I haven't been able to get any actual error messages, but I do experience
 the same hard hang when I have heavy USB I/O. I'm still working on resolving
 this issue properly, but I have found a work-around. If rolling back those
 patches didn't fix the problem for you, try limiting the amount of RAM the
 kernel sees down to 128MiB. For me, going from the actual 256MiB down to
 128MiB prevents the I/O lock-up and I have a stable system (I can in fact
 push it up to 131MiB, but above that it's bad news).

 To limit the RAM, open /usr/src/sys/boot/fdt/dts/sheevaplug.dts, find the
 "memory" entry and reduce it to 0x08000000, then rebuild your kernel.

 I'd be very interested in hearing whether this fixes your issue, as it's
 been quite frustrating to troubleshoot this without seeing what goes on the
 console when the hang occurs!

 Regards,
 /Johny

 --0003255753be3ea5ae049069df63

 Hi Tyler,<br><br>The issue could be the same that I&#39;m having on my Pogo=
 Plug (stripped down version of the Sheevaplug essentially). I don&#39;t hav=
 e a serial console on it, so I haven&#39;t been able to get any actual erro=
 r messages, but I do experience the same hard hang when I have heavy USB I/=
 O. I&#39;m still working on resolving this issue properly, but I have found=
  a work-around. If rolling back those patches didn&#39;t fix the problem fo=
 r you, try limiting the amount of RAM the kernel sees down to 128MiB. For m=
 e, going from the actual 256MiB down to 128MiB prevents the I/O lock-up and=
  I have a stable system (I can in fact push it up to 131MiB, but above that=
  it&#39;s bad news).<br>
 he &quot;memory&quot; entry and reduce it to 0x08000000, then rebuild your =
 kernel.<br><br>I&#39;d be very interested in hearing whether this fixes you=
 r issue, as it&#39;s been quite frustrating to troubleshoot this without se=
 eing what goes on the console when the hang occurs!<br>

 --0003255753be3ea5ae049069df63--