Netbook with WM8505 with ARM926EJ-S

Sabine Baer baerks at t-online.de
Sat Dec 18 10:01:48 UTC 2010

Hi,
I am not an 'expert', just an ordinary user og FreeBSD
 |$ uname -a
 |FreeBSD amd.catfish.ddns.org 7.2-STABLE FreeBSD 7.2-STABLE #15: Sat
 |Nov 14 19:03:48 CET 2009
 |root at amd.catfish.ddns.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL_7  amd64
 |$
with few experiences, so I might be very wrong here but:

I've got one of those cheap mini netbooks with an arm processor. It
was running fine under the installed Windows CE 6.0, but I would have
an non-windows-OS on the machine. I installed a Debian Linux according
to some websites (mostly http://bur.st/~abrasive/wm8505_linux/ ).
As far as I can see, it isn't complete, but it works (whithout wifi
which I am unable to configure and ist unfortunately the only way to
get 'net', no WLAN nor 'internet' either).

Well, that that isn't very interesting, but gives the reason why I
write here.
I read about supporting arm under FreeBSD, so I thought, why not give
him a try.
I followed the steps mentioned at
http://bsdimp.blogspot.com/2007/10/building-bootable-freebsdi386-images.html
replacing 'i386' by 'arm'.

I had to change further KERNCONF=GENERIC one of those:
 |$ ls /usr/src/sys/arm/conf
 |AVILA
 |AVILA.hints
 |BWCT
 |BWCT.hints
 |CRB
 |EP80219
 |HL200
 |IQ31244
 |KB920X
 |KB920X.hints
# |MYKERNEL_arm
 |SIMICS
 |SKYEYE
 |$

I could not use any MYKERNEL_arm made according to the FreeBSD
Handbook because I did not find a CPU other than those in the KERNCONF
suggestions in /usr/src/sys/arm/conf.
I used CRB and then cross compiling run through (without destroying my
PC FreeBSD which I was very afraid of).

But - of course - since my little netbook hasn't a CRB processor, it
didn't boot from SD Card.
It's processor, as written in the litle leaflet, is
WM8505 with ARM926EJ-S

According to dmesg of the little Linux u-boot it is

 |# dmesg|grep CPU
 |CPU: ARM926EJ-S [41069265] revision 5 (ARMv5TEJ), cr=00053177
 |CPU: VIVT data cache, VIVT instruction cache
 |CPU: Testing write buffer coherency: ok
 |#

So, my question is - is there somewhere a ready to use KERNCONF for
this CPU or can I use the output of its own dmesg to write a
MYKERNEL_arm which I can use to build a kernel?

Sorry, this is probably very stupid but I like this little Netbook and
would be glad to use it.

Sabine

--
Let my words echo in the depths of your soul: When people criticize
Zionism, they mean Jews - make no mistake about it. (Martin L. King)