Mount root from SD card?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jan 22 16:15:03 PST 2009

In message: <20090122235712.GO50103 at cicely7.cicely.de>
            Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely7.cicely.de> writes:
: > In message: <20090122230647.GN50103 at cicely7.cicely.de>
: > : On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 03:57:41PM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > : > In message: <20090122180518.GK50103 at cicely7.cicely.de>
: > : >             Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely7.cicely.de> writes:
: > : > : On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 08:02:14PM +0200, Alexander Motin wrote:
: > : > : > Bernd Walter wrote:
: > : > : > >As another point:
: > : > : > >Is it possible to support SHDC with mci some day, or is there a special
: > : > : > >hardware requirement for SDHC?
: > : > : >
: > : > : > SDHC (SD High Capacity) has just a different data addressing scheme (in
: > : > : > 512bytes blocks instead of bytes). There is no special hardware
: > : > : > requirements, only minor initialization differences. With present
: > : > : > mmc/mmcsd modules SDHC should work fine on any controller.
: > : > :
: > : > : Good news - thank you for clearification.
: > : >
: > : > Now all we need to do is to enhance the boot blocks to be able to boot
: > : > off the SDHC cards :)
: > :
: > : Yes, but since you wrote code to store the kernel inside SPI-flash
: > : there is a useable workaround available ;-)
: > : Full loader support would be more interesting than SDHC in boot code
: > : anyway.
: >
: > Raj@ did some interesting work in this area for the marvel port...
:
: I already noticed his work with great pleasure.
:
: > : > BTW, I found and fixed the bug (at least I think so).  We were
: > : > assuming that all transfers were 512 bytes long.  The newly used 16
: > : > and 64 byte transfers broke that assumption, which is why things broke
: > : > after Alexander's latest commits.  There's still a small chance that
: > : > there's something borked in the byte swapping code, but I kinda doubt
: > : > it since I was able to mount root.
: > : >
: > : > svn commit r187603 is the fix.
: > :
: > : Great!
: >
: > Well, it doesn't work in 4-bit bus mode.  Of course, I'm not sure it
: > ever worked in 4-bit bus mode...
:
: It never worked - I tried it a while back and had interesting results,
: but it wasn't stable, which I asumed to be my bad knowledge on how this
: should be implemented correctly.
: Thanks to mav@ we have other controllers working and can test the
: sdmmc part unrelated from mci.
: Nevertheless: multiblock is the real speed issue.
: My speed tests were very impressive, but because of mci problems data
: were corrupted of course.

I'll see if I can find an hour or two to look into the proper reset of
the mci fifos after use...  I'd also like to get 4-bit working too...

Right now I'm only getting ~900kB/s (890-919) and we can do much
better, no?

Warner