Mount root from SD card?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jan 20 11:36:00 PST 2009

In message: <49762621.70104 at FreeBSD.org>
            Alexander Motin <mav at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <4976215B.40302 at FreeBSD.org>
: >             Alexander Motin <mav at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: > : M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > : > In message: <49760E8E.1000609 at FreeBSD.org>
: > : >             Alexander Motin <mav at FreeBSD.org> writes:
: > : > : Krassimir Slavchev wrote:
: > : > : > Hash: SHA1
: > : > : >
: > : > : > M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > : > : > ...
: > : > : >> mmcsd0: 1983MB <SD Memory Card> at mmc0 30MHz/1bit
: > : > : >> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mmcsd0s1
: > : > : >>
: > : > : >> Manual root filesystem specification:
: > : > : >>                        eg. ufs:/dev/da0a
: > : > : >>   ?                  List valid disk boot devices
: > : > : >>   <empty line>       Abort manual input
: > : > : >>
: > : > : >> mountroot> ?
: > : > : >>
: > : > : >> List of GEOM managed disk devices:
: > : > : >>   mmcsd0
: > : > : >>
: > : > : >>> Looks like that should be working.
: > : > : >>> mav@ has done a lot of hacking on the mmc code...
: > : > : >>> Do you have 1 wire or 4 wires for your mmc bus on your board?
: > : > : >
: > : > : > On the board all 4 bus wires are connected (MCD A0-A3) but I've never
: > : > : > seen working 4-bit mode on AT91RM9200 (See PR128987 too).
: > : > :
: > : > : I have just committed MMCBR_IVAR_CAPS implementation into CURRENT.
: > : > : Without having it implemented, results can be unpredictable. For
: > : > : example, mmc layer could enable high-speed timings to reach 30MHz, but
: > : > : this mode is not implemented for this controller. Booting with verbose
: > : > : messages enabled could give a bit more information.
: > : >
: > : > This controller's driver should do the right thing when given a too
: > : > high bus speed: clamp it to the maximum...
: > : >
: > : > However, maybe the clamps are right.  The above symptom was what I'd
: > : > see when the data read in was corrupted.  It is the whole reason I
: > : > never enabled the multi-block read for this controller.  I could never
: > : > make it work well enough to even make mountroot happy.
: > :
: > : High-speed timings does not mean just a high frequency. It is some
: > : different signaling scheme required for higher frequencies, which should
: > : be explicitly enabled on both card and controller. If one of them is not
: > : enabled - there will be problems.
: >
: > Ah, true.  That does need to be a capability then.
: >
: > : > : What's about 4-bit mode, I see some sc->wire4 variable checked by the
: > : > : driver, which is never initialized. I don't very understand how this
: > : > : thing expected to work.
: > : >
: > : > It is initialized to zero.  It is expected that there will be a
: > : > different mechanism in the future to set it generically on a per-board
: > : > basis.
: > :
: > : IMHO it is incorrect to disable 4bit mode on that stage, it is too late
: > : there. It should be done at controller capabilities announcement stage.
: > : If you are not objecting, I would remove that wire4 variable.
: >
: > I am objecting.  The code is there so that the rest of the driver does
: > the right thing when doing 4-bit.  It needs to be a capability too.
: >
: > However, before we go monkeying with this, we need to find the
: > underlying bug.
:
: Bug of not working 4-bit mode? I have told why it is not working:
: because zeroed wire4 variable permanently disables it by clearing
: respective bit in controller SDCR register. I can't imagine any possible
: usage for this variable in present state. Can you?

Yes.  You don't understand the history here.  Keep it.  I've sent my
preferred patch.  There's clearly a bug here, but wire4 is absolutely
required to my future plans.

Warner