Openmoko phones and USB on FreeBSD

Matthias Apitz guru at unixarea.de
Sat Sep 13 12:25:17 UTC 2008

El día Saturday, September 13, 2008 a las 01:10:32PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky escribió:

> Hi,
>
> There are some problems using the dfu-util to flash Openmoko phones from
> FreeBSD. The problem resides in the USB stack on the phone, which does not
> support the libusb-0.1 string requests. I'm planning to work around this in
> the kernel to avoid future problems. I have tested patches for this, but they
> have not committed yet.

Hi Hans,

I'm using FreeBSD on my normal laptop and my eeePC 900 gadget; my
Openmoko will arrive next week (hopefully) and so I'm interested and
willing to test your stuff (hoping that it is based on RELENG_7);

> Secondly I plan to add support for RNDIS so that you can access the OpenMoko
> phone through USB ethernet. I'm currently awaiting approval from the Linux
> people to port their RNDIS driver to the new USB stack under a BSD license.
> Really they should have used CDC ethernet, but there are too many Windows
> users out there I guess :-)

Concerning accessing the Openmoko through USB I thought that this is
possible, at least the Openmoko's Wiki says this:
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_Networking#FreeBSD

or are you talking about running FreeBSD on the Openmoko at all (this
would be great news :-))

Thx

	matthias

PD: I'm only subscribed to -arm, not to -usb;

--
Matthias Apitz
Manager Technical Support - OCLC GmbH