Code review request: boards on AT91

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Tue Nov 25 14:07:36 PST 2008

> I'm trying a little experiment.  I'm moving the board support for the
> different sets of boards we support to their own file.  This is the
> first step in moving to supporting multiple boards more easily.
> There's a number of gross hacks to make this work now in at91 land,
> and I'd like to clean them up.  The mv port is much cleaner, but we
> still likely need some way to identify boards and get the right board
> support code called.  In Linux land, all ARM boot loaders are expected
> to pass in a machine type, which is used to do the multiplexing.
> Something similar in FreeBSD would be useful (and not just for ARM).
>
> Eventually, I'd like to see more common code between the different arm
> variants.  This will ease porting efforts as well as make the code
> more robust.
>
> If anybody wants me to write up where I'm going with this, or answer
> any question, please feel free to ask.  Also, comments would be nice.

I sure like where you're headed.  Were it ever to become possible, I'd
love a nano-bsd like environment on my NXP LPC2138 ARM7 processor.
It's got 512k flash & 32k ram embedded and it's 60MHz, so it might be
a bit anemic, but hey, they can run uClinux, and I hate to let those
linux guys have the last laugh ;)

A "beagleboard" is something I've got lying around with alot more
horsepower, but I seem to recall the ARM Cortex M8 variant of our gcc
wasn't exactly ready for primetime at the moment.  The beagleboard
sure runs enlightenment linux a heck of a lot better than my phone
runs wince though, and I'd love to get there with BSD one day.

Steve