Porting FreeBSD to the Neo1973 (arm920t)

Andrew Turner andrew at fubar.geek.nz
Tue Sep 18 14:39:18 PDT 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 07:54:31 -0600 (MDT)
"M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> wrote:
> Are there instructions for that posted somewhere.  Last time I tried
> to get it going I hit all kinds of snags.
I used:
 $ svn checkout https://svn.openmoko.org/trunk/src/host/qemu-neo1973
 $ cd qemu-neo1973
 $ ./configure --target-list=arm-softmmu
 $ gmake

Lines 49 and 50 of gnokiigsm/device.h will need to be commented out.

If you are running -CURRENT you will need to install the lang/gcc34
port and add "--cc=/usr/local/bin/gcc34" to the end of the configure
line.

> : Any idea what to do next? How to get the uart working? And how to
> tell : the kernel to use it as console?
>
> Chances are very good that you'll need more than just the uart.  The
> uart for the samsung devices will need a driver written for it.
> You'll also need to initialize memory in some way that's unique for
> this SoC
Currently the processor specific code is just stub's to get the kernel
to compile. The problem is getting information out of the emulator
without a working UART or framebuffer.

> : Many Thanks
> : Marius
> :
> : P.S. Should I have posted this to freebsd-arm?
>
> This is radically cool!
>
> I'd love to see FreeBSD going on this phone, and would help out as
> best I can.  I was going to buy one, but my cash flow won't allow it
> until I can sell some real estate :-(.
Wait until the next version is out, I have a current release phone that
can be used to test FreeBSD on.

Andrew

--
Andrew Turner