AVILA kernel boots on NSLU2. No userland or login prompt yet.

rtos rtos at rogers.com
Tue Oct 23 10:20:44 PDT 2007

Hi,

This is just a quick note to encourage anyone who wanted to get FreeBSD
on the Slug (If it has not been done yet). I might not get a chance to
finish the port. Too many projects :)

I am away from my machine ..

Remove these. My Slug does not have a CF slot.

device		avila_led

device		ata
device		atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device		avila_ata	# Gateworks CF/IDE support

A couple of gotchas.

1) The kernel finds the PHY 1 on npe1 instead of npe0.
npe1 is "IXP NPE-C" npe0 is "IXP NPE-B"

I hacked it by swapping the two structs in the npeconfig[] array in
if_npe.c. Now npe1 is NPE-B. I have not actually transmitted anything so
this might be wrong. I'll let the NPE experts decide.

2) The image Id's in the firmware have changed.

In ixp425_npevar.h

#define IXP425_NPE_B_IMAGEID 0x01000200
#define IXP425_NPE_C_IMAGEID 0x02000200

has to change to

#define IXP425_NPE_B_IMAGEID 0x01000201
#define	IXP425_NPE_C_IMAGEID 0x02000201

See the file ixp425-fw.README in the NetBSD sources for firmware
instructions.

That is all for now.