Netatalk and named broken on arm?

Nathan Whitehorn nathanw at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 26 23:06:17 UTC 2007

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Sam Leffler wrote:
>
>> Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having problems with both netatalk and named on my Avila system -- in
>>> particular AARP seems to be broken (it sends out bogus packets asking
>>> about address 0.0.0 from 0.0, and it works on other big-endian systems
>>> like sparc64), and named hangs when starting. Are these known problems,
>>> and do they have known solutions?
>>
>> Not sure about named but it's unlikely anyone has tried netatalk.
>
> As I understand it, issues of alignment/packing often come up with network
> code when running on ARM.  Try adding __packed to the definition of sturct
> ether_aarp in aarp.h and rebuilding the kernel?
>
> Robert N M Watson
> Computer Laboratory
> University of Cambridge

That was it. I now have a very functional AppleTalk router. The patches
that are needed are here:

http://hep.uchicago.edu/~nathanw/netatalk-sys.diff (to the kernel bits of
netatalk)
http://hep.uchicago.edu/~nathanw/netatalk-port.diff (to the netatalk port,
which I'll send over to the netatalk people)

Could someone commit the kernel one?
-Nathan