Gateworks Avila GW2348-4

Henrik Brix Andersen henrik at brixandersen.dk
Wed Jun 20 19:42:01 UTC 2007

Hi,

Seeing how FreeBSD/arm seems have become the de facto reference
implementation for embedded FreeBSD I thought I might as well get into
the loop and order myself an ARM development board (I have previously
only worked with embedded FreeBSD on x86 and that other operating
system on x86, ColdFire and mips32).

I have my eyes set on the Gateworks Avila GW2348-4 but before ordering
one there are a few things, I'd like to know. Hopefully, someone on
this list can answer my questions.

I have only found one European reseller of the GW2348-4, DD-WRT SHOP
[1], and according to their website the GW2348-4 is currently out of
stock. Anybody know of any other European resellers?

Gateworks lists an optional type A USB host interface for the
GW2348-4, but I have been unable to find any reseller that holds this
version of the board. Anybody here have one? Know where/if I can get
one? USB isn't crucial as I will mostly be using the board to get
aquinted with the ARM architecture (and, I hope, do some FreeBSD
development), but it's a nice to have feature.

Anybody know if all Avila boards are sold with the Redboot bootstrap
bootloader - or is that only included in the Development Kit? Is this
a vanilla version of Redboot, or does it require custom patches to
work with the Avila boards?

Anything else I ought to be aware of before placing an order?

Regards,
Brix

[1]: http://www.dd-wrt.com/shop/catalog/
--