PPP Bus Error

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jun 17 07:38:59 UTC 2007

In message: <20070616.223540.-1975970124.imp at bsdimp.com>
            "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:
: In message: <286AD52D-FCA7-4814-97B7-2870B42488C6 at uchicago.edu>
:             Nathan Whitehorn <nathanw at uchicago.edu> writes:
: : I'm trying to establish a PPPoE connection and both ppp and mpd exit
: : with bus errors, and weird traces. Reading through the list, I see
: : someone experienced a similar error last year. Because they both
: : fail, I suspect the bug is in the netgraph ppp stuff (an alignment
: : bug, maybe?), but I was interested in knowing whether anyone else has
: : solved this problem already. Thanks,
:
: I'd check all the alignment of structures.  I suspect that's what's
: doing you in...  Not all the code in the FreeBSD kernel has been
: carefully audited for proper structure alignment.

P.S.  Can you send me a traceback?  Since it is ppp, the userland
program, the bus error is what you get when you do an unaligned
access.

Warner