if_ate handles the bytes of the MAC address in a "wrong" order

Björn König bkoenig at alpha-tierchen.de
Sun Jun 10 06:44:37 UTC 2007

> I think these patches are basically good.  I gotta think about how I
> wanna roll these into the kernel as I have units in the field that
> upgrading their boot loader would be awkward...

Maybe we need a kernel option for keeping backward compatibility.

> Why do you look at all four SA registers, but only pick the first
> non-zero one?  Why is that going to he better than just looking at the
> first one?  Until FreeBSD can support muliple MAC addresses, I'm not
> sure I see the point...

You're right, adding multiple addresses would be perfect. I didn't take
that into account, because I just wanted that the driver doesn't fail if
the first register is empty, but one of the others isn't. That seems to be
strange, but it is reality in my case. - Thus adding multiple addresses is
the next task on my list. ;-)

Regards
Björn