Some question about freebsd-arm

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Jul 24 15:37:38 UTC 2007

In message: <20070724123225.GH564 at cicely12.cicely.de>
            Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely12.cicely.de> writes:
: On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 08:22:47PM +0800, PowerMan wrote:
: > Dir sir,
: >      Because my first language is not English, please forgive me if I
: > made some bad expression or words.
: >
: >      I have learned from http://www.freebsd.org that FreeBSD can run
: > on a kind of Intel board. Why there is no ISO-image released?
:
: ARM baords are typical ebedded hardware, each board has large
: differences - there isn't even a GENERIC kernel, because it's simply
: not possible to have one for all.
: You need to cross compile an arm system, which isn't much different
: from a usual buildworld.
:
: >     If I want to study the source code of freebsd-arm, where can I get it?
:
: At the usual places:
: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors.html
:
: The source for all architectures is the same, just look into the arm
: subdirectories instead of e.g. i386, to see the arm specific code.
:
: >     There are a lot of arm-core chip such as Samsung S3C2410, Atmel
: > AT91RM9200, FreeScale i.MX21, etc. Would Freebsd-arm support them
: > in the future?
:
: I know at least support for the AT91RM9200 and some XScale, but there
: might be more controllers supported.

There are also other controllers in the pipeline, but I can't talk
about the specifics.

: >     Who is the maneger of freebsd-arm projects? Could directly contact with
: > him?
:
: There is no single person, although there are a few major persons, such
: as Warner Losh and Olivier Houchard.
: You can safely assume that a person not reading this list isn't
: important for the arm port anyway.

I was going to reply to PowerMan, but everybody else's replies just
about covered it.

Warner