ARM5 (?) - PXA255

David Witten wittend at wwrinc.com
Fri Jan 20 00:49:17 PST 2006

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, the link you provide points to the support
site for the boards I'm referring to.

This is sort of what I expected.  I was unclear whether the efforts to
port to ARM architectures supported non-MMU systems.  I gather that they
do not.  I don't entirely understand how difficult it is to separate out
the memory management strategy from the rest of the OS.  I imagine that
it is no simple undertaking.

I have looked at uCLinux and uCos for those situations, but I'm not
really certain that the ARM7 projects that interest me have real need of
a full blown OS anyway.  I suspect that a light weight real time
executive is probably the most that is really necessary.

If the box that you are putting together is based on or similar to the
Gumstix designs, I know that sshd works well and is active by default on
their standard boards.

I have m0n0BSD running on a number of WRAP and Soekris boards, which use
a Pentium 5 class AMD GEODE SC110 and I use these days as Firewall/IPSEC
VPN endpoints with very satisfactory performance at 266 MHz.  I don't
believe that crypto is likely to be a problem on anything 200 MHz or above.

Unfortunately, though these are low power boards, they still do not
offer the power management and the physical density that the XScale
family does. And while they are rugged and I2C plus a few GPIO's are
pinned out on the boards, they don't provide the rich set of I/O
facilities one could want.