FreeBSD on a TI TMS470 controller board

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jan 5 09:14:23 PST 2006

In message: <OF6169406D.11F9304F-ONC12570ED.0044B125-C12570ED.0047B361 at sick.de>
            Karsten Brandt <Karsten.Brandt at sick.de> writes:
: Ok, I've two versions of the FreeBSD sources on many CD's: FreeBSD 4.5 and
: FreeBSD 5.1.
:
: Which version should I use? Or is a newer version required?

FreeBSD 6.0 has considerably newer arm support.  FreeBSD -current has
even better arm support, but a big MFC is planned before 6.1 release,
iirc.

: Could you me say which size has the kernel normally, when we use only the
: basic functionalty?

I've built kernels that compress down to about 650k.  There's some
work needed to FreeBSD's configuration system to make it easier to
select less.

: In my embedded environment I don't need console, mouse, network features
: and so on.

Without network, I think the above would be even smaller.

: Now I download the patches and try to install the development environment
: tomorrow.

I've been working on a port to an embedded arm chip, and it has been
going quickly.  The frustrating part is getting memory setup right.
After that, it has been a matter of cranking out device drivers..

Warner