removing bdes..

Slawa Olhovchenkov slw at zxy.spb.ru
Tue Feb 10 22:45:37 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 11:05:57PM +0100, Ollivier Robert wrote:

> > Hmm, as I reminder FreeBSD motto is "tools, not policies".
> > If tools work as expected -- all OK.
>
> It is also some lines of code no one want to maintain, providing a
> false sense of security, what's the point?

No. 'security' is (at the least) protection and availability.
Unavailability for decryption is insecurity. Even for weak encryption.

> > Deny insecure crypto algorithm? Why don't force to use stong crypto
> > algorithm in all places (force disk, swap and memory encryption)?
> > Deny unencrypted network connection?
> > Deny unencrypted arhive?
>
> That's besides the point, we are not here to keep old code for the
> sake of it, esp. Since it will be a port.  We obsolete old code all
> the time you know.  I'd say that uucp was more useful than bdes and
> we still removed it.

Removing uucp entail inconvenience for me, yes.
Thanks for keeping cu (this is part of original uucp), Linux distro
force to install minicom.

> Why making so big a fuss?

I am fuss for policy. Not for bdes as is.