Network stack changes

Adrian Chadd adrian at freebsd.org
Sat Sep 14 03:20:11 UTC 2013

On 13 September 2013 15:43, Rick Macklem <rmacklem at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> And any time you increase latency, that will have a negative impact on
> NFS performance. NFS RPCs are usually small messages (except Write requests
> and Read replies) and the RTT for these (mostly small, bidirectional)
> messages can have a significant impact on NFS perf.

Hi,

the penalties to go to main memory quite a few times each time we process a
frame is expensive. If we can get some better behaviour through batching
leading to more efficient cache usage, it may not actually _have_ a delay.

But, that requires a whole lot of design stars to align. And I'm still knee
deep elsewhere, so I haven't really finished getting up to speed with what
everyone else has done / said about it..

-adrian