always load aesni or load it when cpu supports it

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Oct 21 18:42:38 UTC 2013

In message <20131021183658.GY56872 at funkthat.com>, John-Mark Gurney writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp wrote this message on Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 18:32 +0000:

>Clearly you didn't completely read my first email, so you're proposing
>that we ALWAYS use software AES and never use AES-NI?  At least in the
>context of my email, that is what the above statement says...

No, what I'm saying is that we should offer two APIs:  One synchronous
and one for IPSEC and any other async usage (personally I can't think
of any but...)

Those APIs should do whatever is fastest, for the request it gets.

We do *not* want to pollute all crypto-using code with heuristics to
guess which API to call for which request and when.