non-root installworld/distributeworld coming to current soon

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 19 00:19:43 UTC 2013

Now that I've merged the required features from NetBSD's install to ours
It's time to implement non-root installworld and packaging. The patches
found at http://people.freebsd.org/~brooks/patches/noroot accomplish
this. I plan to commit them early next week. They are as follows:

00-install.sh.diff
	Implement the -l option in install.sh to facilitate boostrapping.

01-install_link.diff
	Replace all known instance of "ln -f" and "ln -fs" with
	"install -l h" and "install -l s".

02-infodir-644.diff
	Install the info directory with mode 644 rather than 444 so
	install-info works when run as non-root.

03-install-U.diff
	Use install -U in place of install.sh once we've bootstrapped
	the new install.  It will save a few sh invocations and
	probably speed the build up slightly but I've not bothered to
	measure.

04-no_root.diff
	Add support for the -DNO_ROOT and METALOG= variables. Except for
	one case in the distributeworld path were a layer of indirection
	is eliminated on the way to calling "make distrib-dirs" in etc
	and adding variables to a few make invocations, the code leaves
	the non-NO_ROOT path untouched.

Please review or test and provide any feedback you may have.

Thanks,
Brooks