how long to keep support for gcc on x86?

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Mon Jan 14 05:27:41 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 8:37 PM, Isaac (.ike) Levy
<ike at blackskyresearch.net> wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2013, at 10:59 PM, Peter Wemm wrote:
>>> 32 bit x86
>>
>> Sure, but how many of these have the new AES-NI stuff?
>
> Hrm, I *believe* the Geode CPU's on a number of the PcEngines ALIX boards actually do, and the Soekris 5501 seems to as well.

Nope.  They have AES on the die, but its not the AES-NI that's the
topic here.  AES-NI was added in 2010 in the Core-i5/i7 families and
in 2012 in the AMD A10 cores.

>> And even if they did, the default 10.x compiler would support it.
>
> Can't confirm that (yet), but I'll bet it's AOK.

That's how this thread started.  Full AES-NI support is in the default
compiler (clang) in the base system for amd64 and i386 but there's
missing pieces with the old built-in gcc+binutils.  If you BYO newer
version of gcc+binutils, that would work too.

--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
bitcoin:188ZjyYLFJiEheQZw4UtU27e2FMLmuRBUE