how long to keep support for gcc on x86?

John-Mark Gurney jmg at funkthat.com
Sun Jan 13 20:29:53 UTC 2013

Adrian Chadd wrote this message on Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 23:44 -0800:

> People are still ironing out kinks/differences with clang. Anyone
> saying otherwise is likely pushing an agenda. :-)
>
> Thus I think adding clang-only code to the system right now is very,
> very premature. There still seem to be reasons to run systems on GCC
> instead of clang.
>
> If you have a need for new instruction support, perhaps look at adding
> it to our base GCC for the time being?

I did look at it briefly, but I don't know gcc's internals, and it would
take me 5+ hours to do it, while someone who does know gcc would take
abount a half an hour (just a guess)...  I don't have the free time I
used to, otherwise I would of done it by now..

> Remember, you're not the only consumer of the system. :-)

Hence why I asked.. :)

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579