how long to keep support for gcc on x86?

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Jan 13 19:30:41 UTC 2013

On Jan 12, 2013, at 8:30 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> IMHO gcc shuld be available until all of the platforms that we
> currently ship FreeBSD on gets clang support.
>
> This includes MIPS (which is there, but I don't think the default MIPS
> build uses clang at the moment) and ia64, which Marcel has been
> dutifully working on.
>
> Please also note that people can and will compile FreeBSD on a
> non-default-system compiler ; so deprecating gcc (either support or
> framework) should be considered carefully.

When this was talked about at the clang summit, the overwhelming opinion expressed was "better with clang". If you can make things better with clang, great. However, gcc still must work.

So no. You can't break gcc build of the kernel. You can make it better with clang, but you must still support gcc, especially for something like this.

Warner