Aliasing issue with TAILQ on ppc64 ?

Jeff Roberson jroberson at jroberson.net
Tue Sep 18 19:01:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <201209181359.37965.jhb at freebsd.org>, John Baldwin writes:
>> On Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:03:21 pm Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>
>> Did you have -fno-strict-aliasing enabled in CFLAGS for your PPC64 build
>> (assuming you had built with -O2 or higher)?
>
> I tried that, but it did not seem to make a difference.

If you compile at low optimization levels I assume it goes away?

Can you place asm volatile ("" ::: "memory"); between the two tailq macros
with the same optimization level?  This should prevent gcc from caching
anything in registers regardless of the optimization level and would tell
us if it's doing something bad.

Thanks,
Jeff