Fallout from the CVS discussion

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Sun Sep 16 12:34:54 UTC 2012

On 16 September 2012 01:35, Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 04:37:49PM -0400, Eitan Adler wrote:
>> However, -CURRENT is not meant to be a production system.
>
> It is simply not true.

My statement was true, but does not disagree with the content below.
Production system != Production Grade.

> CURRENT shall never be knowingly put into a state
> where it cannot be used for the 'production-grade' use, whatever it
> means.

Agreed.

> We do accept changes are so disruptive that some unknown fallout
> is expected, since otherwise developers cannot make any significant
> progress.

The point of my statement is that it perfectly acceptable to change
behavior in HEAD in a non-backwards compatible way. In particular no
systems running -CURRENT are expected to be "critical functioning".
People that track -HEAD are expected to be able to deal with the sorts
of problems that occur from "drastic change."

> But introducing known breakage is simply not acceptable. Doing so shrinks
> the already limited testing base we have for HEAD.

Agreed.

--
Eitan Adler