Removing CVS from HEAD

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Sat Sep 15 11:16:35 UTC 2012

Warner Losh wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2012, at 8:06 PM, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > As for the schedule, as has been repeatedly stated, this change will
> > only affect 10.x and later.  If this proposal goes ahead, the first
> > FreeBSD release to not have CVS in the base will be 10.0-RELEASE -
> > which (IMHO) is unlikely to appear for another year.  And 9.x will
> > continue to include CVS in the base and should be supported for at
> > least 2 years after 10.0-RELEASE comes out.  Thus, anyone currently
> > relying on the base CVS has at least 3 years to plan their transition.
>
> One thing the project has been really *BAD* at is broadcasting this information.  They don't have 3 years to plan if the only record of this decision is in email mailing lists.  We need to have an UPDATING_MAJOR to list the changes from the last major release that are user visible.  Otherwise they will have only "minutes" of warning when they install 10.0.
>
> Warner

Yes, more info/warning would be good, especially for those not
[always] tracking lists &/or all releases.  Maybe add a "road map"
under http://www.freebsd.org/releases/ so people can see where FreeBSD
is headed, exported in Ascii to src/SOMETHING (& with URL to
newest version on web) ?

PS if one goes to http://www.freebsd.org/releases/
    & clicks "Release Documentation" it breaks going to
    http://www.freebsd.org/releases/relnotes.html
    should be http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes.html
    No need to report, I just did with send-pr.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Unix Linux C Sys Eng Consultant, Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply below not above, like a play script.  Indent old text with "> ".