Removing CVS from HEAD

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Sep 11 14:39:20 UTC 2012

On Sep 10, 2012, at 2:01 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> On 9/10/2012 11:49 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

>>> We already have a fallback, install it from the port. Can you please
>>> address why you believe that solution is not adequate?
>>
>> Because the documentation that we have doesn't say install the port.  It still says use CVS.  Once that's updated and translated, that will be one of the last (last?) thing we need to have things fully cut over and have cvs really be unused and can then proceed to remove it.
>
> We're still ripping out places in the docs where we refer to CVS for src
> related stuff, never mind docs and ports.
> http://svn.freebsd.org/changeset/base/240316 Should we go back to using
> CVS as the repo until that work is finished?

No, we should finish that work as well.  The number of people affected is smaller.  And that work should also have been done before the trigger was pulled.  The trigger hasn't been pulled yet on this change.

> And as someone else pointed out the average user doesn't use CVS
> directly anyway. They use c[v]sup to check out the source, which doesn't
> use anything from the in-base CVS.

You'd be surprised how many people use cvsup to get the CVS tree and then checkout from there.  More folks than use the docs tree, I'd wager.

> That said, I agree that it's unfortunate that our documentation is so
> far behind the curve here, and wish that people would take me more
> seriously when I talk about needing a project plan for these kinds of
> major infrastructure changes. But just like the mirror creation process,
> the documentation changes are already underway. The sooner we remove CVS
> from the base the sooner we can find other areas that need to be fixed
> up, in anticipation of having it polished for 10.0-RELEASE.

We should get as much as we can done before pulling the plug, and then mop up as much as possible from there.

Warner