Removing CVS from HEAD

Ian Lepore freebsd at damnhippie.dyndns.org
Tue Sep 11 13:30:43 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-09-10 at 22:35 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 09/10/2012 17:27, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > When/if it's agreed to remove CVS from src/ to ports/ , do it
> > Not in un-managed haste.  Not gratuitously annoying users by
> > removing CVS from src/ without due warning.
>
> Do you consider years from now "due warning?" Because that's how long it
> is going to be before any measurable quantity of users is on 10.x.
> Between now and then, every one of them who is paying any attention at
> all will have moved from CVS to SVN.
>
> This whole argument of "zomg, users can't handle things moving to ports"
> is so 20th century.

I think I'd feel better about the trend of moving things from the base
to ports if cross-building ports for non-x86 platforms worked.

I have no specific need for CVS in base and I think there's plenty of
lead time if the process starts now for people to adjust before the 10.0
release, so don't count the above general statement as a vote against
removing CVS.

-- Ian