Removing CVS from HEAD

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 10 04:47:19 UTC 2012

On 9/9/2012 7:41 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 19:12:06 -0700
> Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> You keep conveniently removing the parts of my posts where I point out
>> that CVS is now, and will remain, available from ports for those
>> users. And in the next few years there will be, as there already have
>> been; numerous announcements about the value of moving to subversion,
>> new mirrors, etc.
>>
> I also took out the part from others and myself where we said that
> there are systems running without ports installed on them.

What does that have to do with anything? If users choose not to take
advantage of the entire operating _system_, we can't be responsible for
their bad decisions.

>>> The moment you take out the knob off you also take out all CVS
>>> mirros.
>>
>> This is quite simply untrue.
>>
> This is the point where the developers (I also was one) forget
> psychology.

Um, I have a degree in psychology. The psychology of this change is not
"Users will believe that CVS repos have magically disappeared if they
can't find a cvs binary in the base." The psychology of this is "Change
is hard." We can't postpone reasonable changes made on a technical basis
because some users have emotional issues about the fact that we have
moved from CVS to SVN. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the truth.

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what