Removing CVS from HEAD

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 10 04:39:04 UTC 2012

On 9/9/2012 9:01 PM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Sep 9, 2012, at 6:53 PM, Doug Barton wrote:
>> We have a long way to go until 10-RELEASE, and a long uptake cycle after
>> that. By the time even a significant percentage of our users are
>> actually using 10.something the momentum will have shifted entirely to
>> SVN. ... and anyone using 10 who needs CVS can install it from ports.
>
> I'll point out that "what things should be like at 10.0" is difficult to predict today.  Saying the project will be a particular way weakens the argument given the project's glorious history on such pronouncements...  It is a great goal, but I'd rather see more concrete progress towards the goal before pulling the trigger.

Oddly, the opposite argument was put forth for removing sysinstall in
HEAD when there was no replacement available for the post-install
features of sysinstall. The fact that it got removed anyway helped spur
action regarding its replacement.

The balls are already rolling towards getting SVN mirrors in place, and
anyone who still needs CVS years from now can install it from ports.

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what