Removing CVS from HEAD

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 10 02:12:54 UTC 2012

On 9/9/2012 5:52 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 17:01:17 -0700
> Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>
>> On 9/9/2012 4:55 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
>>> I would suggest to keep it in the system and announce its end when
>>> older system like 8.x or 9.x are at the end of their life time.
>>
>> I think you misunderstand the proposal. No one is suggesting removing
>> CVS from FreeBSD 7, 8, or 9. It will _only_ be removed from what is
>> now HEAD, which will eventually be 10.0-RELEASE.
>>
> this is how I understand it. The problem I see is from the end-user
> perspective. They will upgrade to 10 and suddenly everything they
> developed stops working.

You keep conveniently removing the parts of my posts where I point out
that CVS is now, and will remain, available from ports for those users.
And in the next few years there will be, as there already have been;
numerous announcements about the value of moving to subversion, new
mirrors, etc.

> I would suggest to start from the infrastructure side by getting more
> mirrors for the new system while phasing the mirrors for the old system
> out.

That's already in play, and will continue to improve in the years before
we even have a 10.0-RELEASE, never mind before it gets wide adoption.

> Users are then not forced to make the sudden change.

They won't be.

> Please do not tell me that they should read UPDATING. They only will
> after they ran into trouble.

If they miss all the memos about moving to subversion, that won't be our
fault. :)

> The moment you take out the knob off you also take out all CVS mirros.

This is quite simply untrue.

Doug

--

    I am only one, but I am one.  I cannot do everything, but I can do
    something.  And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what