Removing CVS from HEAD

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Sep 9 03:01:59 UTC 2012

On Sep 8, 2012, at 7:22 PM, Bryan Drewery wrote:

> On 9/8/2012 7:17 PM, Olli Hauer wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes please, deprecate and remove both.
>>>

>> CVS and RCS is really handy if you have to work on isolated
>> machines and cannot install a modern VCS, there it is always
>> a better fall-back then copy1/2/3 ...
>>
>> If it has to go I have to use the fall-back method in future :(
>>

> I agree fully they can be handy, and other handy tools could be present.
> But this is as straight forward as:
>
> # portsnap fetch extract
> # make -C /usr/ports/devel/my_vcs_tool install clean
>
> Or now even (considering CURRENT):
>
> # pkg install devel/my_vcs_tool
>
> Given how easy it is to easy install (the latest) version of some handy
> tool like this, it's odd we have some, but not other, tools in base.

Since we have traditionally included cvs, it does make sense.  People that use FreeBSD have used it as the basis for systems that they have deployed, including cvs.  There's no compelling reason to removing right now, and doing so will break some of these people.

Let's let this round of changes to the FreeBSD source system shake out before we become eager to kick cvs out.  Perhaps revisit for 11?

Warner