Removing CVS from HEAD

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Sat Sep 8 22:10:30 UTC 2012

Hi all,

CVS is obsolete. Virtually everyone that uses a version control system
chooses git, mercurial, subversion, etc. FreeBSD has finally migrated
from CVS for all of the repositories [2].  The ports management team
has announced the end of CVS support in six months time (the end of
February 2013). The documentation project does not export subversion
to CVS. The source repository will eventually cease support of CVS as
well.

As such I propose that we treat CVS as deprecated in 9.x and remove
CVS from HEAD [0].

There is already a port devel/cvs which uses a virtually identical
copy of the CVS sources in HEAD as of today.

[0] http://people.freebsd.org/~eadler/files/svn-remove-cvs-from-base.diff
[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-ports@freebsd.org/msg44029.html
[2] projcvs does not count

--