New Boot Loader Menu

Devin Teske devin.teske at fisglobal.com
Tue Oct 9 16:30:28 UTC 2012

On Oct 9, 2012, at 8:51 AM, Warner Losh wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2012, at 9:05 AM, Devin Teske wrote:
>
>> …Re-adding the list…

>>> will the space key work for a general back to or up one entry?
>>> I suspect the space bar has the same keycode on all platforms (intel/appel/ppc/sparc ...)
>>>
>>> Anyway nice work :)
>>>

>> By golly, I think olli is on to something here!
>>
>> What does everybody think about space?
>>
>> I like it because it's a NICE BIG TARGET (and it's not used by anything else).
>
> space usually doesn't mean backup to most users.  It usually means go forward or select, so this is a poor match to what other systems do and therefore to what one might expect joe-random-person to expect.

Ok, space is out.

*thinks*

Ok, "b for back" is out because "b" on the main menu is boot (even if not highlighted -- see menu.rc keycode[1] and corresponding ascii(7), decimal 'b' is 98).

Ok, space, any F# keys, any arrow keys, and backspace are also out.

Hmmm…

I'm looking at my keyboard and nothing really sticks out.

'M' perhaps for "Back to [M]ain Menu"

--
Devin