New Boot Loader Menu

Sun Oct 7 16:34:46 UTC 2012

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 16:48:50 -0700 Devin Teske
<devin.teske at fisglobal.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been working on a new boot loader menu system.
>
> This is what is in HEAD, CURRENT, and RELENG_9 at the moment:
>
> http://twitpic.com/b1pkll/full
> in color: http://twitpic.com/b1pkz1/full
>

> I'd like to propose the following replacement to the above:
>
> http://twitpic.com/b1pll5/full
> in color: http://twitpic.com/b1plxi/full
>
> The boot options have been whisked away into a sub-menu (see below):
>
> http://twitpic.com/b1pm51/full
> in color: http://twitpic.com/b1pme8/full
>

> What does everybody think?

IMO single user mode should be in the first level. I never had to use
the other options, but I often used single-user mode. Another reson is
that we tell to install the world in single-user mode. While I've
always installed the world in multi-user mode, we should make it
easy/fast to do it the recommended way.

I see a lot of value for submenus to chose another boot device /
partition, specially with ZFS boot environments.

Bye,
Alexander.