Prefaulting for i/o buffers

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Thu Mar 1 14:28:46 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 04:15:53PM +0200, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 03:12:47PM +0100, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> > Yes, namecache is already library-like, but I was talking about the
> > buffer cache. I managed to bypass it eventually with suggestions from
> > ups@, but for a long time I was sure it isn't at all possible.
>
> I am quite curious, in which way buffer layer is mandatory ?

As I said, it is not, but it took me a while to figure it out.
I remember having massive problems when I was working on getting mmaped
reads/writes right and bypassing the buffer cache and talking to the
page cache directly. I don't think there was single example in the tree
that was showing it can be done at that time. Currently tmpfs is using
the same approach as ZFS, AFAIK.

FreeBSD committer                         http://www.FreeBSD.org
Am I Evil? Yes, I Am!                     http://tupytaj.pl