Allow user install

Simon J. Gerraty sjg at juniper.net
Tue Jun 26 16:24:23 UTC 2012

On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:42:06 -0500, Eric van Gyzen writes:
>Tim's idea sounds great, and would cover several use-cases.
>Specifically, it leaves the build artifacts in the usual places so
>other, later builds can build against them, whereas writing the

Yes, this is almost exactly what we are planning to do.

>artifacts directly to a tar file does not.  Building a manifest would
>also be very handy, and even necessary for correct packaging of the
>artifacts from an unprivileged build, where the on-disk meta data are
>not "correct".

Exactly.

>I'm already doing something like this at $WORK, but not using
>buildworld/installworld (to my dismay).  I manually maintain an mtree

FWIW we don't plan to use buildworld either ;-)
But until we can offer a useful alternative, incremental improvements
can be helpful.

>file which gets fed to makefs to build an mfsroot.  Although I like the
>fascist control of this method, it's more work to maintain.  Automation
>is good.

We've been using essentially this method for many years (10+),
but using a hacked version of mkisofs - for freebsd we are re-doing it
for makefs.

The maintenance isn't that big a deal - and yes automation wins.

--sjg