bsd/citrus iconv

Bruce Evans brde at optusnet.com.au
Fri Feb 24 20:47:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> <<On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 22:24:21 +0100, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> said:
>
>> That's entirely academic unless you want to modify gcc and clang to
>> automatically pull in libiconv.
>
> It doesn't matter what gcc and clang do.  POSIX ONLY specifies the
> behavior of the "c99" utility.  It does not specify the behavior of
> any other compiler.

FreeBSD's c99 doesn't actually work, since it doesn't know about libm.
It also doesn't seem to provide a way to pass flags through to gcc,
so it just breaks on -v and won't tell me which libraries it knows
about :-).

Any Standard C compiler for a hosted implementation needs to know
about libm, so gcc -std=c99 [-pedantic -fno-freestanding] is similarly
broken (or just not a C compiler despite -std=c99).

Similarly for c89 and -std=c89.  I've never used a C compiler :-).  c89
is closer to being one since C was simpler.

Bruce